Wednesday, April 7, 2010

International Student Worries About Racism In America

Dear Harlan,

I am a high-school senior from South Korea, and enjoy your advice very much. I got accepted to Allegheny College in Pennsylvania and plan to go there after my graduation. I haven't been to America in a very long time. I hardly remember anything. If I go there, will I be able to adapt to the new environment? I heard that there still is racism left in some parts of America. How do I deal with that?

Studying Abroad

Hi Studying Abroad,

Thanks for the note! Just like you can find ignorant people in South Korea, you can find people like this in Pennsylvania if you look hard enough. But generally, take comfort knowing that most Americans will be more than happy to have you in their communities. Once you arrive on campus, look for the international student groups and organizations. Consider living with other international students (there could be international housing). Also, look for a spiritual center that has a large Korean population.There are Korean communities all over the United States. One trick to find people of any culture — search to see if there's a specialty market or grocery stores that caters toward a particular population. Typically, specialty markets are located in neighborhoods where there are people who shop there and support it. Once you find a market, you can search for a spiritual center. Then you can find some people who can guide you along the experience. Also, look to the program sending you to the States to find some mentors who have been here and done it. So, the short answer is that I wouldn't anticipate finding too much racism, but you might run into some ignorant people. If you do, please don't let the few ignorant people in the U.S. become a representation of who we are. The majority of us are kind, loving and welcoming people.

No comments:

Post a Comment