Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Future Grandma-In-Law Talks Too Much Trash For Future Granddaughter-In-Law

Dear Harlan,

I'm 21, recently engaged, and things are great — except for my fiance's grandmother. She tries to tell him how to live every aspect of his life, and she has recently begun to do the same to me. She wants to do my laundry, tells me what to wear, how to cut my hair and even that I need to lose weight. She even tells me that I'm crazy for wanting to marry her grandson. How do I deal with her without hurting his feelings or hers?

Granddaugther-in-law to be


Dear Granddaughter-in-law,

I see the Facebook and Twitter feed right now — "Stuff my GIL says" (GIL stands for grandma-in-law). Like all patriarchs and matriarchs who no longer care what other people think, GILs can be as insightful as they can be offensive. The trick is to find the gold in her trash-talking. There's nothing wrong with listening to her rants, but this doesn't mean doing what she wants. There's a difference between listening and doing whatever you and your fiance want. While listening, consider digging deeper at times when she offers gold. For example, when she tells you that you're crazy for wanting to marry her grandson, ask her why she thinks you're crazy. She might know something you don't know. But when she says to lose weight, buy clothes and do the laundry, tell her thank you and then do whatever you want. If you're happy and your fiance is happy, then there's no reason to make her happy. It's not like you're marrying her. Give her permission to be an outspoken GIL and make a commitment with your man to

live a life that works for you both — not her.

2 comments:

  1. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua cure Hiv,Herpes,Hepatitis,Diabetes,Copd,Fibroid,Als, And Cancer. He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was suffering from Warts Simplex Virus, i was totally depressed due to my predicament , until i meet Dr Nana the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can also contact him now on whatsapp +2347014784614.or via email:on drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail .com for more information.




    I was suffering from Warts Simplex Virus, i was totally depressed due to my predicament , until i meet Dr Nana the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can also contact him now on whatsapp +2347014784614.or via email:on drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail .com for more information.

    ReplyDelete