Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dating Recluse Neighbor Is Flirting With Disaster


Dear Harlan,


I'm in my second semester at college. I've been advised by upperclassmen and my parents that it's not a good idea to have a relationship or hook up with someone who lives on the same floor of the same dorm as I do. However, I've recently run into a bit of a conundrum. There's a girl on my floor and in one of my classes who I think has a bit of a thing for me, and I have feelings for her, too. Normally, I would try to ignore this, but this girl is extremely reclusive and rarely leaves her room. Moreover, she lives on the other end of the hall. It seems like she could just as easily be in another building. What should I do?

Sincerely Concerned

Dear Sincerely Concerned,

Know why they say it's not a good idea to date a neighbor down the hall (or down the street)? Since you can't answer this, seeing as this is an advice column, I'll assume you've responded with, "No, Harlan ... why?" It's because the majority of people who date someone down the hall end up breaking up at some point in the future. Sure, there's always a chance you'll date for a while and get married, but most likely, you'll have an ex living down the hall from you. And that can be very uncomfortable for you and all future significant others. As for whether you should date her, that's your call. I would be a little concerned about dating a recluse. I tend to think women who have a life outside of their rooms are more attractive. Given that she doesn't leave her room, she might not have much going on in her life. This can be good if you want a girlfriend with nothing other than you in her life, but it's not good if you want someone who has outside interests and friends. That said, it's almost the end of the semester, so if you do date, and do break up, you might not be living down the hall next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment